Friday, March 26, 2010

Breaking into Song

So there I am once again sitting in the front seat of the shuttle that takes us back and forth between the ferry and Wagner College. Two women behind me are speaking very amiably and jovially in French. I can't see them or understand them, but I can tell from the tone in their voices that they are thoroughly enjoying their conversation together. Our driver, who often displays with pride his ipod full of classic rock, starts to play Pink Floyd's "The Wall." You know, the part that goes:

We don’t need no education
We don’t need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the class room
Teachers leave those kids alone
(yells) Hey, teachers! Leave those kids alone!

Suddenly, these girls who just a moment before were speaking only in French burst into song, calling out the above words in perfect English and singing the monotone melody just a bit louder than is appropriate. I can't tell if others are annoyed, but I find myself smiling broadly. Something so simple and yet so exhilarating is happening. Two enthusiastic people are singing a tune they know well with a kind of "full-throated ease." For me, somehow, this fundamental reaction is an affirmation of life. Always welcome. And a reminder of how much joy everyday life brings when you're open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment