Saturday, July 4, 2009

Introducing The Third New York

"There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born here, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size and its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter — the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is the New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in quest of something. […] Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness; natives give it solidity and continuity; but the settlers give it passion." -E.B. White

I have been living in New York City for a little over a year now and this is my first entry for a blog dedicated to appreciating New York, as E.B. White suggests, with a settler's passion. I landed here in May of 2008 and although I have lived in many interesting places, nothing quite prepared me for New York's rich diversity, its amazing aesthetic variety, its utter craziness. I love everything about it. No matter how packed the subways are, I can't get enough of the people I see there. As I walk through the city, I am startled constantly by its unexpected architectural marvels. Just today, looking south on William Street from Nassau, I was moved by the gentle curve of the buildings that turned in sync with this old, meandering byway. It is the first place I have ever lived where boredom seems to have no place; there is just too much to do. Even when there is no good theatre to take in, no old movie to view, no museum exhibit to catch up with, no lecture to attend, there is always the City itself to explore, with all its delicious surprises. It is a great city, but also a metaphor for life's endless possibilities. This blog is an exploration of a tiny portion of those possibilities, always written from an upbeat, appreciative slant. I love New York and I want to show how I love it everyday.

3 comments:

  1. And what about the contribution of those visitors? Certainly they add to the 'tidal restlessness' and the 'passion' but what more? Something other than making the locals feel superior, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great point about visitors. The energy of New York, at least in part, is propelled by its many diverse temporary residents.

    ReplyDelete